Barrier Free Bathroom

According to AARP’s 2013 statistics, the cost of living in a nursing home in North Dakota is over $71,000 a year!  This ever-rising number is yet another strong argument to stay in the home you have known for years.  However, what do you do if your home is no longer accessible, due to illness or injury, and money is tight?

In previous articles, we discussed funding options such as the Assistive Technology Financial Loan Program, the Pedaling for Possibilities fund, and home modification funding options for veterans, below are two more options to help you.

  • Rehab Accessibility Program 

    The Rehab Accessibility Program grants from the ND Housing Financing Agency help people with physical disabilities and low income live in a safe, accessible environment. “A maximum of $4,000 may be awarded with a limit of one grant per single- or multi-family property in a fiscal year. The grant match requirement is 25 percent. To be eligible, households must earn 80 percent or less than the county median income, adjusted for family size.” Grant dollars may be used for various renovations and improvements such as the installation of walk-in or roll-in showers, grab bars, door hardware, widening of doorways, and ramps.  Although this program is for North Dakotans, there may be a similar programs in other states .

  • Rural Repair and Rehabilitation Loans and Grants 

    Rural Repair and Rehabilitation Loans and Grants from the US Department of Agriculture, also known as Section 504 Loans and Grants, provide up to $20,000 in loans at 1% interest with up to 20 years to repay and $7500 in grants to rural property owners with low income. These monies are available to “make repairs and improvements to make the dwelling more safe and sanitary or to remove health and safety hazards.”  This includes “repair or remodel of [the] dwelling to make [it] more accessible and useable for household members with a disability.” Contact your local USDA Center to find out more information.


    For more information on funding for home modifications, contact your state’s Assistive Technology Act Program or Independent Living Center.


About Author

Jeannie Krull is the Program Manager for ND Assistive (formerly IPAT). She is an ASHA certified speech/language pathologist and a RESNA certified Assistive Technology Professional, who has worked with people with disabilities of all ages since 1991.