There are many good medical/emergency alert systems on the market today that call for help with the touch of a button.
Deciding what is the best emergency alert system is not always an easy task. There are many things to consider: does the system require landline vs. cellular, does a user have to rent or own the device, and will the system call emergency personnel or just contact friends and family. Users also have to consider cost, monthly fees, does it come with GPS tracking or fall detection, and so on.
Let me share an emergency button that has recently been placed on my “favorites” list. The V.ALRT is a small (dimensions of 1.3” & 0.4” thick) wearable device that uses Bluetooth Smart technology with a mobile app (Free) to initiate calls and text messages from a smartphone. When the V.ALRT is pushed, the user’s smartphone sends a customizable text message and GPS location to up to 3 pre-selected contacts. V.ALRT does not call 911.
Here are my top 3 reasons this device is on my “favorites” list:
- No Monthly Fees! When it comes to medical alert systems, most require a monthly fee. There are no monthly fees, contracts, or setup fees with this device. Because the V.ALRT operates through the smartphone, all of the features are available without a service fee.
- Android & iOS Compatible. The V.ALRT works with iPhone 4s/iOS 7 or newer, as well as Android 4.3 or newer with Bluetooth 4.0.
- No Charging Needed! The V.ALRT has up to one year of battery life and powered by a standard CR 2032 watch battery.
Other great features:
- Fall Detection – This option, when turned on, will automatically send out an alert after a 60 second countdown. This is a nice feature when a user is unable to push the button.
- GPS Locator – Along with the alert text messages and phone calls, the location from the smartphone will be sent to the 3 selected emergency contacts.
- Wireless Range – The V.ALRT must be within range of the smartphone to operate. It has a wireless range up to 75’ indoor or up to 300’ outdoor using Bluetooth 4.0. This range offers more than most Bluetooth connected devices.
- Waterproof – It can be submerged in water up to 3.3’ for a maximum of 30 minutes. This makes it very ideal when going to the pool, worn during vigorous exercise, or worn in the shower or bathtub.
- Wearable Options – This device can be carried discreetly in a pocket or a bag, worn on the wrist, or around the neck as a pendant. The wristband and pendant/key ring accessories are included. The belt clip is an additional accessory, and other wristband or pendant/key ring accessories can be ordered.
- Belt Clip – $14.99
- Pendant/Key Ring – $4.99
- Wristband – $14.99
- Cost is $39.99 – There is free shipping, a 30 day return policy, and comes with a 1 year warranty.
- Out of Range Notifications – If the V.ALRT is out of range or is disconnected from synched smartphone, both devices will receive an audible notification.
No matter the situation, I think the V. ALRT is a great emergency alert system for those who keep their smartphones with or near them. This system will benefit children, college students, teachers, runners, seniors and so many more.
Individuals 60 years of age and older may be elgible to recieve this assistive technology device through the Assistive Safety Devices Distribution Service program. For more information, call 800-895-4728 or visit www.ndassistive.org.