Changes to the Senior Safety Program
For the past fifteen years, ND Assistive has been responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the Assistive Safety Devices Distribution Service, better known as the Senior Safety Program, through a contract with the North Dakota Department of Human Services, Aging Services Division. Through this program, we are able to provide up to $300 worth of assistive safety devices to assist older North Dakotans in their activities of safe daily living.
In an effort to remain efficient with the limited financial resources provided through the Older Americans Act, some items that have been provided in the past will no longer be eligible effective July 1, 2019. Durable medical equipment (DME) including walkers, rollators, and wheelchairs, transport wheelchairs, and accessories will not be covered. Other low-cost and easily accessible items such as reacher/grabbers, sock aids, shoe horns, swivel seat cushions will also no longer be covered. These items have been determined to not be cost-effective for the program to administer. These are devices to keep in mind when you need a gift for your parents, grandparents, or an aging loved one.
- North Dakota resident
- Age 60 or over
- Not living in a skilled nursing facility
Priority is given to:
- Older individuals with greatest economic need (low-income)
- Older individuals at risk for institutional placement
- Older individuals residing in rural areas
Complete the request form available on our website and submit it via email, fax, or mail.
- Email to: email@example.com
- Fax to: 701-365-6242 Attn.: Senior Safety
- Mail to: Assistive, 2401-46th Ave SE, Suite 203, Mandan, ND 58554
Please note that this program is not an entitlement program and is based on need and available funding. All other funding sources must be pursued before applying (i.e. personal health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, waivers, etc.).
This program is not an Emergency Program and cannot be used as a means to obtain equipment on short notice.
Below is the listing of items that are covered through the Senior Safety Program. ND Assistive reserves the right to limit the options available for some items. For example, only stainless steel, ADA-compliant grab bars will be covered.
- Alerting Devices for individuals with hearing disabilities such as the Serene Innovations CentralAlert or the Clarity AlertMaster
- Anti-Elopement Devices such as Wandering Alarms
- Bed Rails (limited options)
- Caregiver Pager Systems
- Emergency Response Systems – for Landline Only – such as the LogicMark Freedom Alert and Guardian Alert
- Grab Bars (stainless steel only)
- Handheld Shower Heads
- Medication Dispensers and Reminders such as the MedReady
- Personal Hearing Amplifiers such as the Williams Sound Pockettalker or the Comfort Duett
- Portable and Electric Lifting Seats
- Shower Chairs
- Specialized Eating Utensils
- Toilet Safety Frames/Rails
- Toilet Seat Risers
- Tub Rails
- Tub Transfer Benches
- Voice Amplifiers and Accessories
Below is the listing of items that are not eligible to be covered through the Senior Safety Program. Please note: some of these items may have been covered in the past, however, they will no longer be available through the program.
Items requiring monthly fees
Durable Medical Equipment (DME) including:
- Walkers and accessories
- Rollators and accessories
- Wheelchairs, standard and transport, and accessories
- Canes and accessories
- Braces for the knee, ankle, wrist, etc.
- Diabetic supplies such as blood glucose test strips and monitors
- Blood pressure monitors and cuffs
- Compression wear such as Jobst stockings
- Gait and transfer belts
- Leg lifters
- Rehabilitation equipment such as shoulder pulleys and pedal exercisers
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) units and accessories
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices and accessories
Low cost and easily accessible items including:
- Sock aids
- Shoe horns
- Non-slip bathmats
- Can openers
- Jar openers
- Swivel seat cushions
Items unrelated to safety including:
- TV amplifiers
- Laundry carts
- Over-bed tables
Disposable/consumable items including:
- Incontinence products
- Rubber sheets/mattress pads
- Hearing aid batteries
- Hearing aid cleaners or dryers
- Replacement batteries
Please contact the Senior Safety Program via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 800-895-4728.
This project is supported by funding from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Administration for Community Living, Administration on Aging, and granted through the North Dakota Department of Human Services, Aging Services Division.